Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:35:10 +0300

> Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 00:30:26 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> I tried to configure again, but this time using a windows-absolute
> path for the shell script, i.e.:
>   CPPFLAGS='-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1' CFLAGS='-O0 -g3'
> /c/msys/home/dani/emacs/emacs.git/nt/msysconfig.sh --enable-checking
>
> and this time the "%emacs_dir%" problem did't appear during "make bootstrap".

Again, check that your dirname and sed are MSYS programs.  Maybe also
expr, and pwd -- they are all involved in the configure script
fragment that calculates the source directory.

> So, if it is required to invoke "msysconfig.sh" with a
> windows-absolute path

It is not required, I invoke the configure script using relative file
names all the time, and it works as expected.

> Aside from that, unfortunately the bootstrap didn't complete
> successfully this time either.  I got 3 crashes, where a message box
> popped out with this text:

I just bootstrapped the latest trunk, and didn't see any crashes.

>   GNU Emacs: The extensible ... has stopped working
>   A problem caused the program to ... bla bla bla.
>   [Close program]
>
> and then the bootstrap stopped.
>
> First crash:
>   Compiling /c/msys/home/dani/emacs/emacs.git/lisp/ffap.el
>   Wrote c:/msys/home/dani/emacs/emacs.git/lisp/ffap.elc
>   <<<<<<< HERE
>   Makefile:252: recipe for target `ffap.elc' failed
>   make[3]: *** [ffap.elc] Error 255

All I can suggest is attach GDB to the crashing program, type
"continue" at GDB prompt, then click "Debug", and see where it
crashes.