Re: windows build failure

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: windows build failure
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:24:46 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
    Yes, that's it, thanks.  This happens because MinGW runtime 4.x
    switched to a 64-bit time_t type by default, but 'struct timeval'
    defined in winsock2.h and sys/time.h still uses 'long tv_sec'.  This
    causes the gnulib tests to decide we need to replace 'struct timeval'
    with a Posix-compliant definition, and also replace gettimeofday.

    This particular problem for Emacs build should now be fixed: I forced
    the configure script to accept the MinGW definition of 'struct
    timeval' without testing.

And it is, thank you.  I built the trunk in place and installed it in
/mingw.

    Btw, the switch to 64-bit time_t (or, more accurately, the
    corresponding switch to 64-bit time functions) is one of the few
    changes in MinGW 4.x that cause binary incompatibility with previous
    versions.  So my recommendation not to use MinGW 4.x, especially if
    you are running Emacs on XP, still stands.

Well, I'll see how it goes.  I'm gonna try unpacking gtk, libxml2 and
gnutls over it next.  I stand forewarned.