Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Yet another discussion on improving the first time user experience
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:43:46 +0200

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:40:19 +0200
> Cc: Jay Belanger <address@hidden>, Brief Busters <address@hidden>,
>       Pascal Bourguignon <address@hidden>, Emacs-Devel devel <address@hidden>
>
> And how about Ctl-arrow key? Does that move a "word"? If combined with
> Shift does it select?

Yes and yes.

Oh, that is really good news! :-)
But you did not mention anything about PgUp/PgDn. Though those are of course trivial to fix too.

Some important things are of course still missing for new users: C-c and C-x (only text is selected), C-v and C-z (always). Making cua-mode default would make those things much more stable. And better for new users.

And then there is the trouble with Emac's META vs Window's Alt. (I do not know what Alt is called in others OS:es.) I made a mistake when I once in my patched Emacs chosen the Windows key for Emac's META. It would have been much better if I had chosen the Caps Lock (Shift Lock) key. However at that time I did not know/realize MS would put more restrictions on the use of the Windows key. But using Alt as Emac's META is not good for new users. I would suggest Caps Lock instead. (And I think that is possible with a slight twitch of my keyboard patch. But I do not have time to look into it now.)