Re: ielm changes: display standard-output in buffer

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: ielm changes: display standard-output in buffer
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:37:28 -0700

On 9/26/13 1:49 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> How does this change look?
>
> Looks OK, but see comments/questions.

Thanks for taking a look.

>> +;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
>>  ;;; ielm.el --- interaction mode for Emacs Lisp
>
> Please just put -*- lexical-binding: t -*- at the end of the first line

Sure.

>> +(defun ielm-standard-output-impl (char)
>
> I don't really understand the standard-output part of your patch.
> Could you provide a simple example where it makes a difference (and put
> it in some comment somewhere in the code)?

Sure: it's a new feature: the basic idea is that if a form being
evaluated through ielm writes to standard-output (say, using princ),
that output appears in the ielm buffer, making it work more like a
normal command line. I looked into doing the same thing for message
output, but I couldn't get after-change-functions in *Messages* to run
reliably.