Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 23:15:17 +0200

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But the final goal would be to make `emacs-bzr-version' get the
>> correct value also when building emacs from the official git repo.
>> And since its value includes both the bzr revno and the bzr revision
>> ID (e.g. "114456 address@hidden"), the
>> notes stored in the git repo are insufficient (they lack the bzr
>> revno).
>
> Just teach the build scripts to not require the revision number.

Not sure what you mean.  AFAIK, the build scripts don't require it.

> From the revision id whoever reads the bug report can get the revision
> number (for a given branch.) Actually, if you look only to the revision
> number you can end wasting your time, because you don't know which
> branch was used to build that Emacs.

Yes I know, the bzr revision number is always relative to some bzr
branch, while the bzr revid is universally unique.  But my point is
that `emacs-bzr-version' gives both of them (on an Emacs built from a
bzr branch), and everyone in these lists prefer the bzr revno, because
is shorter/simpler.

Therefore, what I'd like is that "emacs-bzr-version" gave the exact
same string from an Emacs built from either bzr-trunk or git-master.

--
Dani Moncayo