Re: Modern conventions for structuring Emacs Lisp libraries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Modern conventions for structuring Emacs Lisp libraries
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 14:04:55 -0400

> Assuming that
> [[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ElispAreaConventions][this page]]
> reflects the official recommendations, they look like this:
[...]
> I would, as described in my proposal, critisize that

Whatever their defects, those conventions are what we have to work with.

> Wouldn't it be possible to leave the existing libraries untouched, update the
> conventions (for a better future), and somehow allow for both versions to
> co-exist?

Of course it's possible.  But it's much easier to write tools that
reinterpret the current conventions to give you a better structure than
to change the actual files.  This has the advantage that you don't need
to deal with coexistence of two different conventions, and the fact that
some tools will only work with one of the two conventions (or may even
mishandle files using the other).

        Stefan