Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Setting the value of `emacs-bzr-version' also from a git checkout
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:16:59 +0200

>>> IOW, the revision-id is enough to unequivocally identify the revision
>>> in any given branch.
>>
>> Of course, but that would require the user to have bzr installed, just
>> to get the revnos from the revids.  That would be too bad, and can be
>> easily avoided just by including the revnos in the git notes.
>
> Why is the *user* interested on getting the revno? For bug reporting,
> the revid is perfectly valid (and, as stated before, it is more precise
> than the revno.)

(I think I didn't answer to your question in my previous reply.  Sorry.)

Many people prefer to use revnos while reporting bugs or discussing
changes (this mailing list is the clearest example).

I was even asked to include that revnos in the binaries I publish, see:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-10/msg00002.html

So, even though the bzr revision IDs are unambiguous, (most) humans
prefer to use the revision numbers.

--
Dani Moncayo