Re: electric-indent-mode: abolition of `newline' function is not the Rig

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: electric-indent-mode: abolition of `newline' function is not the Right Thing.
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:51:48 +0000

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 01:55:07PM -0700, chad wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2013, at 11:58, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:

> > For another thing, it will stop lots of Emacs Lisp from working.

> What specific packages/libraries/etc break with the current
> electric-indent-mode enabled?

Haven't a clue.  Some will though.  One of my personal defuns breaks,
with the following sequence:

(newline)
(insert "(vi)")
(fill-paragraph)

Because of the unwanted indentation attached to `insert', which indents
the new "(vi)" to the same level as the previous line of text, the
`fill-paragraph' joins it to the previous paragraph.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).