Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:13:17 +0300

> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:26:00 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden
>
> > I need to customize every programming mode I use to do that.
>
> You do?  You can't use `C-j'?

I can, but it's much less convenient than to use RET.

> Are you bemoaning the disappearance of a key that did the same thing
> key `C-j' does?

Not in particular.  And what would be the use? it's not like keyboard
designers will listen.

> And yet you feel you need to make `RET' do that?  Not so clear.

What's not clear?  I want a key that is easily reached and that
performs newline-and-indent.  Every modern IDE does that.

> If you still had a `LFD' key would you nevertheless feel the "need to
> customize every programming mode I use" to make `RET' do what `LFD'
> did?

Maybe, I don't know.  Last time I used that key was 30 years ago.

> And which users are you talking about, who have this expectation?
> Emacs users?

Users of any modern IDE, which I think includes Emacs.