Re: Rectangular regions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 14:09:26 -0400

>> Maybe steal M-SPC from just-one-space since it is similar to C-SPC and
>> works well in gui and tty. We could fold just-one-space into
>> delete-horizontal-space somehow.

I do agree that M-SPC would be "natural".  Also there's a lot of overlap
between M-^, M-\ and M-SPC, so we could try and rely on that to make the
hijacking of M-SPC more bearable (I actually dislike all of M-SPC, M-\,
and M-^, and instead use a command that does "the reverse of M-j",
removing all whitespace and newlines, except for between 0 and
2 depending on the surrounding chars, e.g. 0 between two closing
parens, but two between a "." and an capital letter).

C-x r C-SPC is also very natural, tho it also suffers from being already
taken.  Its advantage is that the existing command is already available
under C-x r SPC, so it's not that much of a loss for users.
The disadvantage is that it's a rather long-winded key-sequence.

        Stefan "who doesn't use any of M-SPC, M-\, or M-^ but uses C-u
                M-j instead (where M-j is modified to treat the prefix
                as meaning to «undo» a M-j)"