Re: Info: Console Vs GUI difference?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info: Console Vs GUI difference?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:04:50 +0200

> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:17:41 -0700
> From: "T.V. Raman" <address@hidden>
>
> I understand better now.  But I cannot but advice it because
> there are many parts of emacs -- and emacs packages -- that
> already use signal to display useful information to the user.

I didn't say you shouldn't advise it.  I just said that there's no bug
in Emacs in this case: it works as intended.

> Yes, that is clearly incorrect, but that  is what packages are
> doing, so I have no option but to speak them. I'd be happy to
> hear about an alternative -- note that I suspect
> command-error-function might run into the same issue -- perhaps
> differently.

The short-term alternative is to avoid speaking this particular
signal, by somehow detecting it.

The long-term alternative is to gradually abandon the advice methods
and switch to using special hooks that Emacs will provide for this
type of software.  Please consider presenting a list of hooks you'd
like to have for Emacsspeak, and file a feature request bug report
with that list.  Emacs ought to have good support for Emacsspeak that
does not require use of advice, IMO.