Re: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:59:52 -0500

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 20:05:38 +0530 Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

JK> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> They wouldn't know what icon corresponds to what repository.

JK> You mean Gnu Icon wouldn't be recognized by Emacs users?

That's not what I said.  The user has to know that the GNU ELPA ("gnu")
repository is represented by the Gnu icon, while marmalade is a
marmalade jar and melpa is a Melba wafer and ELPA is Tom Tromey's face :)

This mapping is not intuitive or particularly useful IMO.  Sometimes
text really is better than an icon.

>> You can, of course, do this on your own with text properties.

JK> I am just making a general remark: Can or should Emacs use Icons.  Your
JK> post was just an excuse.

Well, no, your remark was very specific about using icons in the package
listings.  That's a context where security (you have to be sure where a
package is coming from) and usability (it must work in a terminal) are
more important than in most Emacs use cases.

I think in general Emacs should use icons more, but with care.  See
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/137682 for a proposal
(iconset.el) I still intend to pursue, though it's not high on my TODO
list due to other priorities.

Ted