Re: PATH_SEPARATOR in test/automated/Makefile.in

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: PATH_SEPARATOR in test/automated/Makefile.in
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:42:55 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The problem is that (a) @PATH_SEPARATOR@ is replaced with ':' (of
> course: what else did you think MSYS Bash will use?),

You greatly overestimate my knowledge of and interest in MSYS Bash. ;)

> and (b) the automatic replacement of ":." with ";." doesn't happen
> either, because evidently the MSYS heuristics doesn't consider "."
> something that cannot be anything but a file name, so it plays safe
> and leaves it alone (":./" does work).

OK, err, ok. AFAIK, I just did what you told me to in

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15933#14

and subsequent. How come

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=15933#47

said it worked then? (Ah, he uses an out-of-tree build, so his $srcdir
contains a "/".)

> So the possibilities as I see them are:
>
>  . Remove PATH_SEPARATOR and use -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)/"
>    (with a slash) instead of  -L "$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$(srcdir)"

Seems a bit flaky to me.

>  . Leave PATH_SEPARATOR, but set it to ';' "manually" for MinGW,
>    instead of relying on $PATH_SEPARATOR computed in configure by
>    asking Bash.

Sounds better to me (assuming you mean making up some new variable,
rather than modifiying PATH_SEPARATOR, in case that inadvertently breaks
something else that's using it).

But please do whatever you think is best. Obviously I keep getting it
wrong.