Re: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:12:32 +0530

Thanks for the note.

>> ps: When I ask this question, I assume that the people who wrote the
>> standards have gooed enough reasons tag paragraphs as RTL or LTR
>> "explicitly".

> But until and unless someone explains why inserting invisible control
> characters is not enough

I don't know.

You are saying that explicit markers could be used in place of
per-paragraph tagging to achieve the desired effect.

May be it is not a question of "enough" but a question of
"manageable". i.e., minimizing or eliminating undesired effects while
moving - copy + pasting - the text around.

The FAQ below talks about avoiding paired control codes (to avoid
goofing up of structure) and says RLM and LRM are "less problematic".

So, the question is were you surprised (or annoyed) by unexpected
directionality when copy-pasting text that have markers.  Will use of
per-paragraph specification minimize the associated headaches.

,---- http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-controls.en.php

`----

>> Currently, in Org-mode, one cannot have multi-paragraph tables.
>> Assuming that in near future, it does support such tables, how would one
>> go about fixing the directionality.
>
> You already asked this in the past, and I already provided several
> alternatives.  One is to use TAB characters, another is to use the
> '(space . PROPS)' display spec, yet another is to use RLM/RLM
> controls.  Between these, I don't believe there's a problem we won't
> be able to solve.

I am sleeping on it.

The scenario I am placing is this:

     Org-mode table + Multi-paragraph table cells + Mixed scripts.

,----
`----