Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el and leim/quail]
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:17:12 +0530

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. A user that provides feedback/bug reports is valuable, even if he
>>    doesn't submit patches.
>>
>> 2. A user that also submit patches is even more valuable, even if he
>>    doesn't commit them.
>>
>> 3. A user that also commit his patches is even (a little) more valuable.
>>
>> Currently I'm at level 2.  It's better than nothing, isn't it?
>
> +1, for drawing attention to the worth of #1 and #2.

I am in agreement with what Drew writes.

To add to that...

Submit a patch move on.  Adding a note, that someone else commit it is
just ....  Surely, no one is under any obligation to commit or accept
the patch.

Similarly, insisting that people use Bzr or Commit their Patch can be an
exhortation, a minor form of persuasion - not quite unlike the "commit
my patch".  The other party is under no obligation.

Once you realize that you are working (together?) with "No Obligation",
"No Incentives" or "No Punishments" scenario, the activity itself can
take on more meaning and focus can shift to just the activity (whatever
that may be)

There are two autonomous entities dancing together.  Dancing - the
footwork - is difficult.  Loosely-coupled bodies trying to create a
graceful movement.  The perils of a wrong move - The twisted ligaments
and an occasional cramp - These are all painful, instructive or atleast
entertainment-worthy.

Just laugh, shrug or curse.  Pick separate ways or walk together.