Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el

From: Jarek Czekalski
Subject: Re: participation & contribution [was: Latest changes with lisp/uni-*.el and leim/quail]
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:11:54 +0100

W dniu 11/30/2013 09:43 AM, Dani Moncayo pisze:
Glenn's frustration (which I share) is that here's an Emacs
_developer_ who has write access to the repository, and is quite
capable of doing the 5-sec commit job, but refuses to do so on some
address@hidden principle and lame excuses.

IOW, he is publicly demonstrating his attitude to the project, asking
others (whose plate is much more full than his, and whose time is more
sparse than his) to act as his dutiful servants.
With all due respect, Eli.  I'm sorry that you think so.

I want to contribute to Emacs, while at the same time using the VCS I
like.  Just that.  The only drawback of that approach is that every
now and then some other developer would have to commit some patch of
mine.  I think it is a reasonable tradeoff.

I have also another idea of fair approach. If you, Dani, don't want to learn bzr, others may not want to waste time on commiting patches that are not useful to them. At this moment these are the patches regarding git things.

The best user is such that brings only pluses to the project, without intended minuses. If one says "I'm helping, but I'll never learn bzr and you have to commit my patches if you want them", they bring a delibarate minus to the project, decreasing other developer's time. Eli supported.

It's hard to judge for me, a newcomer, whether Dani's pluses largely outweight minuses, but in general a developer should be able to work on their own. Still exceptions may be done for some honorable or valueable people. It would be best if one of the developer's declared: "I'll be commiting every patch of Dani. My time is worth less than his, so I'll be doing it instead of him". On the other hand, saying: "**someone** should be commiting it, because his work is good" is unfair too.

Jarek