Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 16:44:05 +0100

Hi,

Since I am a long time iswitchb-mode user I decided to give icomplete-mode a try for switching buffers.

I tried the following under GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32) of 2013-12-07 on LEG570:

runemacs -Q
C-x C-f foo.el RET
C-x C-f foo.template RET
M-x icomplete-mode RET
C-x b *scratch* RET
C-x b oo

When do this I see this in the minibuffer:

Switch to buffer (default foo.template): oo[.]{template | el}

By using C-j I can switch to a buffer and C-, and C-. cycles between the matches as described earlier. But the completion hint is totally weird. If I type just one "o" above, it works as it should.

Is this a bug or the (very strange) intended functionality?

/Mathias

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Strangely enough the default keybindings you mention (C-j, C-., C-,) are all
> undefined in my version of Emacs (24.3.1).

Indeed, iswitchb is not obsolete in 24.3, because icomplete-mode in that
version does not provide the corresponding features.

        Stefan