Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-p

From: Josh
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-paren-mode.
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:51:02 -0800

On Dec 10, 2013 8:35 AM, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Leo Liu <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:12:35 +0800
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > On 2013-12-10 10:36 +0800, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Should we disable show-paren-mode's highlighting when the paren is
> > > covered by a `display' property?
> > >

> > >         Stefan
> >
> > I have no opinion either way. read-passwd is really a special case where
> > emacs should reveal as little as possible. In other cases the highlight
> > might be helpful.
>
> Maybe you could suggest a couple of such cases, because I cannot think
> of one.  We are talking about highlighting parentheses that are not
> displayed because some display property is displayed instead, right?

Isn't it the case that such parentheses would sometimes be displayed in conjunction with conditional display specs., i.e. (when condition . spec)?
Also, I'd also expect show-paren-mode to affect parentheses having
display properties like ‘raise' and ’height' that change the appearance
of parentheses but do not display something else entirely.