Re: Feature freeze

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature freeze
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:49:25 -0500

> Any special reason for this exception?
> Is it just "lives in an external repo and is big"?

Pretty much, yes.

> Because there were large non-bugfix Org mode changes late during
> the 24.3 cycle, which were so big they were basically impossible to
> check, and they caused some problems:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-03/msg00108.html
> So personally I'm disappointed to see the same thing on the cards again.

This "feature freeze exemption" isn't meant to imply "commit any time
you like".  Basically, what it means for me is that if/when they have
code ready to merge into Emacs, we may accept it even after the freeze,
as long as there's still enough time before the release.

E.g. installing a new version in January should be fine, February,
probably, and after that, less likely, tho it depends on how well the
release process is going.  Does that sound good enough for you?

        Stefan