Re: sRGB color support in NS port

From: Steve Purcell
Subject: Re: sRGB color support in NS port
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:04:46 +0000

On 20 Dec 2013, at 17:41, Bozhidar Batsov <address@hidden> wrote:

Some time ago Steve Purcell reported an issue with hex colour rendering on OS X (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00077.html). While nothing was changed in Emacs, many OS X users apply a patch similar to this one https://gist.github.com/purcell/3858136 (an older version of the patch is used by homebrew) to get the desired behaviour. I wonder if we cannot finally include the aforementioned patch or conditionnaly allow the use sRGB colour via a build option (like —with-srgb).

That would be great, and I’d be happy to do whatever is necessary to help this become a reality, e.g. contributor agreements etc.

I’ve just updated the gist to reflect the latest cleanly-applying version of the patch.

The current defaults on OS X make little sense IMO, and result in inaccurate colours for pretty much everyone AFAICT.

My understanding is that everyone who cares about colour accuracy on OS X builds his Emacs with an sRGB patch of some sort. As for making this a build option, I don’t even think the non-sRGB colours should be an option on OS X, though I can’t speak for the whole NS platform.

-Steve