Re: Crash when loading GIF images

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Crash when loading GIF images
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:50:15 +0200

> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 16:18:35 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
>
> Since at least several months, after compiling Emacs from source on Arch
> Linux, the entire Emacs session crashes when displaying any GIF image. The
> stack trace shows the crash happening inside giflib.
>
> Forcing Emacs to build with libungif instead fixes the problem, so it has
> something to do with how Emacs uses giflib.

What kind of GIF library did you use before this started to happen?
Was it an older version of giflib, or libungif?

> Reproducing the error is very easy for me. All I have to do is to open any
> GIF file and it immediately crashes.
>
> The version of giflib in my release of Arch Linux is: 5.0.5

Are you sure the header files you used for building Emacs against
giflib are consistent with the library?  Latest versions of giflib use
different signatures of several functions used by Emacs, creating a
binary incompatibility with previous versions, so if you are using
headers that specify old signatures, you will get crashes.

FWIW, I'm using giflib 5.0.5 (not on GNU/Linux, though) with Emacs
without any problems.