Re: Generating ChangeLog files.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Generating ChangeLog files.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 12:12:35 +0200

> From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 10:31:39 +0100
> Cc: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>,
>       Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
>
> I usually write patches on a branch and rebase them when they are ready to be
> pushed.  This always causes merge conflicts for the ChangeLog.  (Maybe [1]
> could help a bit.)

There should be no merge conflicts with ChangeLog files.  I see an
absolute zero of them.  git-merge-changelog and the changelog_merge
plugin in bzr make this not an issue.

> E.g., GNU Octave replaced ChangeLog with an auto-generated ChangeLog from
> commit messages and they seem to be quite happy with that solution.

I've seen a couple of projects that eliminated ChangeLogs.  In every
single case, the result was a drastic deterioration in the quality of
the commit log information.

> I know the topic has been discussed several times and it seems a bit
> pointless
> to start the discussion again.  But in my opinion ChangeLogs are an even
> bigger issue than the VC because at least I can work around the latter by
> using git-bzr.

As pointed out above, you should be able to resolve the former as
well, in no time.