Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:35:58 +0000

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 10:58:31PM +0000, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> > Would you like to propose an API for it? Same as popup.el?
>
> As a first attempt, I'd propose something like
>
>   (complete-in-buffer COMPLETION-SOURCE &optional PREFIX-FUNCTION)
>
> where COMPLETION-SOURCE is a function to call to obtain completions, and
> PREFIX-FUNCTION is an optional function to call to determine what to
> complete.
>
> Calling this would invoke whatever completion widgets the user had
> enabled in customize (with sensible defaults - maybe the popup.el
> interface or similar, or perhaps the default should be the usual
> *Completions* buffer).

Or one could simply enhance `completion-in-region' to display completions
in the "more modern" UI, which the user can configure via customize.

Would that be usable in Company, or is the `completion-in-region' API
missing things you'd need? (It's currently missing things I'd need for
Predictive, but not too much. I think they wouldn't be too hard to add.)

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Royal Society University Research Fellow

email: address@hidden
web:   www.dr-qubit.org