Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 21:19:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Why do you need an MSYSGit shell open at all times?
>
> Because that's the only way to ensure everything in git will work as
> best as it can.
>
>> Have you tried any of the Emacs interfaces for Git? (I highly
>> recommend Magit, which is *immensely* more convenient than the
>> command line for everyday's work)
>
> I don't trust any of these interfaces to work correctly with MSYS
> based commands and scripts, sorry.

So you are using an inconvenient setup because you are afraid of
hypothetical problems and refuse to switch to an alternative, convenient
setup because you are afraid of other, even more hypothetical problems?
:-)

I'm using MSYSGit + VC + Magit on Windows for several years and it never
caused a single data-loss issue. At the very beginning, long time ago, I
had problems with line-endings but then MSYSGit was "fixed".

OTOH I have a hack on my .emacs to prevent Emacs + Bzr from garbling the
commit messages. Something related to character encodings.