Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:06:46 -0500

On Jan 10, 2014, at 10:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Interestingly enough albeit tangential, I haven't even byte-compiled my
>> personal elisp files in *decades*.  I just load them from source
>
>Did you measure performance?  Byte-compiled code is about 2 times
>faster.

Not really, but two trends make it not really worth it:

1) Computers are so much more insanely faster now than when I started with
Emacs, or even started vc'ing my personal elisp.

2) More and more of my personal hacks have been subsumed by standard Emacs
functionality that I'm really down to just a few handful of files now.

>> Performance (startup or runtime) hasn't been a problem since I made
>> the switch.
>
>If you are used to slightly slower operation, you will in time stop
>paying attention to the slow-down.  E.g., I run an unoptimized build
>of Emacs most of the time (due to better debugging opportunities), and
>think it is fast enough -- until I fire up an optimized build and am
>amazed by its speed.

Fast enough is good enough. :)

-Barry