Re: RFC - cleaning up /etc

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: RFC - cleaning up /etc
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 05:17:18 -0500

Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
> Be careful about that!  Some of the humor files are in separate files
> because programs refer to them.

I'm well aware of this. Grepping in the elisp to make sure no dangling
references would be left behind was absolutely part of the procedure I
had in mind.

> I suggest deleting these files, which were put here before we had a web site.
>
> COOKIES
> copying.paper
> echo.msg
> INTERVIEW
> JOKES (but save the EMACS acronyms)
> MAILINGLISTS
> MOTIVATION
> publicsuffix.txt
> SERVICE
>
> We can replace copying.paper, MAILINGLISTS and SERVICE by URLs.
>
> We can also delete celebacy.1 and sex.6,
> as well as the program meese.el which uses them.
> I doubt many users will remember Attorney General Meese.
>
> condom.1 can also be deleted; it is not actually related to those
> two files, but without them, why put it here?
> (Though the reference to setiud is funny.)

What shall we do about future-bug?  I think that is much too funny to be
lost to posterity (take a bow, kfogel) but if we're going to exile JOKES
it should go too.

I guess a lot of this stuff can go to the EmacsWiki humor section.