Re: Modifying a variable from describe-variable

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Modifying a variable from describe-variable
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 06:41:41 +0000 (UTC)

João Távora <joaotavora <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I see, I see. Then I think you want "c" keybinding that someone
> suggested that takes you to a customize buffer. I think that would be
> the solution most integrated with emacs's solution.

That's not a complete solution, because not all variables are
customizable. This feature should not be limited to only customizable
variables.

BTW, it does not seem hard to implement. One only needs to (prin1 ...)
the value to a buffer where the user can modify it and then it can
be read back with (read).

> I didn't implement that.

Another thing: buffer local variables should be handled somehow.
For example, it could be recorded from which buffer C-h v was
called and the code should switch to that buffer temporarily and
set the variable there, so if the variable has a buffer local binding
then the local variable value is modified, not the global one.