[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:20:59 +0100
Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/24.3.50 (gnu/linux)
Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Before the first release that contains eww, I think we should set up
>> natural aliases for the commands, perhaps using the name "browse" or
>> "www" or "web" instead of "eww". With natural names, users won't have
>> to wonder, "What in the world did they call that?" We can avoid
>> adding one more difficulty to learning to use Emacs.
>> I think epa also needs a set of natural aliases, with "crypt" instead
>> of "epa".
> We introduced define-alternatives for exactly that case. It's just
> that nobody has used it yet.
(setq web-alternatives '(("eww" . eww)))
M-x web RET TAB RET
Does not work without the attached patch.
I think it's safe to recommend `define-alternatives' for commands
only, not for function, and the docstring suggests this too. If so,
I'll apply the patch.
Two other problems:
1) when there is only one "alternative", the user is asked which
one he wants. I think COMMAND should use the alternative without
asking, and tell the user how to add other alternatives through
COMMAND-alternatives for 2 secs the first time the alternative is
2) Once an alternative is chosen, setting COMMAND-alternatives will
not take any effect, and I don't see a way to cancel the first
What do you think?
Description: Text Data
- eww, Richard Stallman, 2014/01/12
- Re: eww, Juanma Barranquero, 2014/01/12
- Re: eww,
- Re: eww, Richard Stallman, 2014/01/13
- Re: eww, Bastien, 2014/01/13
- Re: eww, Richard Stallman, 2014/01/14
- Re: eww, Bastien, 2014/01/14
- Re: eww, Richard Stallman, 2014/01/15
- Creating aliases for epa-* comands => crypt-* commands? (was: eww), Bastien, 2014/01/17
- Re: Creating aliases for epa-* comands => crypt-* commands?, Stefan Monnier, 2014/01/17
- Re: Creating aliases for epa-* comands => crypt-* commands?, Bastien, 2014/01/17