Re: Occur stack

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Occur stack
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:53:33 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> For things like an occur or grep buffer, I don't think it is necessary
>> to keep the actual contents around.  They can be regenerated from
>> scratch fast enough, so just keeping the history and possibly a somewhat
>> robust cursor location should be enough.  It becomes trickier with stuff
>> like grep-find which may run for a while.  Still, having the command
>> history to some depth available conveniently is cheap and useful,
>> certainly much cheaper than keeping the buffers.
>
> After editing an occur or grep buffer (e.g. removing unnecessary lines
> with `flush-lines' or adding more highlighting with `highlight-regexp')
> all such changes will be gone.

Sure, as will changes due to editing the actual files or buffers.  Of
course, editing occur/grep buffers necessitates toggling the read-only
flag so its presence/absence can be taken as an indicator for the
preciousness of such a buffer.  And of course, you can always
rename-uniquely to save a buffer.

My point, namely that an easibly accessible history regenerated
transparently is much cheaper than buffers to keep around.

--
David Kastrup