Re: Occur stack

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Occur stack
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:36:25 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> My point, namely that an easibly accessible history regenerated
>> transparently is much cheaper than buffers to keep around.
>
> I doubt that's correct.  Putting the text of the buffer into a string
> (and recovering it) when you hit `l' is much cheaper than running
> "grep".
>
> There will be an increased memory usage, of course, but we can limit the
> history depth to something reasonable.

You are aware that you are in agreement with me?  The increased memory
usage is _exactly_ why one would have to limit the history depth "to
something reasonable".

I see no actual point moving the history into strings from buffers and
back again: easier to just keep the buffers.  Also much more transparent
to reclaim memory if you run out of it: you can find and delete large
buffers, but you won't easily figure out that some history string is
eating all your memory.

--
David Kastrup