Re: Occur should use the region as input if it's active

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Occur should use the region as input if it's active
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:11:30 +0000 (UTC)

Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:

> I should also have added, with reference to your point about
> searching for something you see, that with this option turned
> off the default input is the name of the (non-nil) symbol
> nearest point.
>
> That, plus the usefulness of using the region to delimit the
> search, is the reason that searching for the region text by
> default is turned off by default.

Picking up the symbol around the cursor is a good idea, so for occur
it would be a good default to use the symbol around the cursor if there
is no region active and use the region for search if it's active.

Limiting search with the region is infrequently needed and it can
easily be done with narrowing. The above two features are much
more useful and they can be used much more frequently (quickly
picking an input for occur), so they should take precedence.