Re: Occur stack

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Occur stack
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 21:45:32 -0500

>> Here's an other experimental code which does it the other way:
>> it does not store buffer contents, it reruns the command
>> instead.
> Storing the command, too, is also nice, because then we can re-run the
> command with the `g' command.

Yes, I like that too.  I actually want to move in that direction,
defining a way for a major mode to advertise how to rebuild the
"same" buffer.  Then special-mode could set revert-buffer-function to
a new function which would use this info, and bookmark.el could also use
that info.

> However, re-running an external command will not, in general, give us
> the same buffer we had before.  Things change, and re-running (say) grep
> half an hour later might very well give us a different buffer than what
> we expected (because files have changed, etc).

Indeed, that's a downside.  In the case of eww, for example, I find it
very important to be able to go back to a previous page's content
without re-contacting the web-server.  This would probably be true also
in some other cases, such as *vc-diff*.

Hmm...

> Having a history that presents us with ever-changing output doesn't seem
> optimal.

I think sometimes we want one and sometimes we want the other.  Not sure
how to reconcile this without exposing this choice to the user in an
annoying way.

        Stefan