Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Sebastian Wiesner
Subject: Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:31:12 +0100

address@hidden writes:

>> From: Sebastian Wiesner <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:32:02 +0100
>>
>> I'm writing a tool for non-interactive package installation.  Think of
>> it as apt-get for ELPA packages, e.g. you can point it do a directory
>> and then install packages from the command line.
>>
>> It generally works fine, but the *huge* amount of output produced by
>> package.el is a major nuisance currently.  Even installing trivial
>> packages results in a lot of "Compiling …", "Extracting…",
>> etc. messages, which provide no real value to the user.
>>
>> Following the old Unix philosophy of "no news is good news"
>
> That might not be a good philosophy in interactive programs when some
> actions might take a long time.

I appreciate your feedback, but in fact this plan follows complaints by
my users about the amount of output.

And in either case, what package.el currently writes to the terminal, is
simply too much.  *No* other package manager prints a message for *very
single file*.  Imagine, apt-get would do that…

If no output at all turns out to be irritating, I'd still prefer to be
able to control package.el, and probably just print a single message per
installing package.

>> Unfortunately, "write-region" does not seem to provide a way to
>> generally inhibit this message.  I looked at the C source: It calls
>> "message_with_string", which in turn directly "fprintf"s to stderr in a
>> non-interactive session.
>>
>> Do I miss something?  If not, how could I silence "write-region"?
>
> Already discussed in not-so-far past, see
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-10/msg00784.html

Well, I read that discussion, but it does neither offer a solution, nor
tells about any plan to change write-region to allow to inhibit the
message.