Re: The git mirror is *very* badly screwed up

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The git mirror is *very* badly screwed up
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 09:44:35 +0200

> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 01:25:52 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> > > Four commits following :862 - :864, :867, :869, :871 - form a merge
> > > bubble which is closed at :873.  The problem is that something in the
> > > chain of transmission gave both sides of the bubble the same branch ID,
> > > which should not ever happen.
> >
> > The commits you cited are from the elpa branch.  I don't see why you
> > should worry about that, since elpa already switched to git anyway.
> > Its bzr branch is of no use anymore.
>
> Andreas says I should do nothing with that branch.

Isn't that what I said, too?  (I didn't see Andreas's message until
after writing mine, so you now have 2 independent opinions that say
essentially the same.)

> But if elpa has its own repo now, probably it should be trimmed out
> on conversion day.

What do you mean by "trimmed"?  If you mean removed from the
repository, then I thought you were converting only select branches
anyway, and elpa wasn't one of them.  Bazaar repositories are just
collections of branches, so converting all of them into a git repo is
not necessarily the wisest course of action, to say the least.

> Somebody, definitely not me and probably Stefan, should make a policy
> decision about that. But nobody needs to decide yet.  I have a solid
> week of work to do, maybe ten days, maybe even two weeks, cleaning
> up other crap in there.

I actually don't understand why you are doing a separate new
conversion, instead of relying on what Andreas already did.  AFAIR,
there was no serious discussions of this, and certainly no decision
(except, perhaps, by you).