Re: Progress report on git-blame

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Progress report on git-blame
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:21:17 -0700

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Apart from trying to bully up general git performance and from trying to
> get the unpacking to cache smarter, it would also be feasible to add a
> "fast track" interface to git blame --interactive where Emacs sends
> information about "currently viewed material corresponds to lines
> xxx...yyy in the file" to the running git process which is used for
> prioritizing the outstanding work.

That sounds quite useful.  My common bug fixing use case is that I find
a function (or a bit of a function) that I think has a bug, and then I
`C-x v g' to find out who "who wrote this crap anyway!!!" (it usually
turns out to be myself), and then I try to see whether any of the lines
are suspiciously new and may have introduced a new bug.

So I'm usually just interested in a screenful of lines.  If we could
have a version of `C-x v g' that only does "blame" for the current
region, for instance, that would certainly fit my use case.