Re: transient mark loss on Shift+PageUp/PageDown

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: transient mark loss on Shift+PageUp/PageDown
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 06:32:34 -0500

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 20:36:58 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> (shift-select-mode t)
>> (transient-mark-mode t)
SM> That's the default.

>> (select-active-regions nil)

SM> Presumably this shouldn't make a difference.  If it does, we clearly
SM> have a bug.

>> (cua-mode t nil (cua-base))

SM> Nowadays, this shouldn't make a difference either, but it's a recent
SM> change and may have bugs in that respect, indeed.

>> Emacs has started losing the transient mark on Shift+PageUp/PageDown
>> within the last 3 months.

SM> Not sure what that means.

S-prior and S-next

SM> But "C-SPC ..movement.. S-prior" will keep the region active, but
SM> the region is delimited not by where you hit C-SPC but by where you
SM> hit S-prior.  That's by design of shift-select-mode.  Maybe CUA
SM> behaved differently in this respect and since CUA nowadays uses
SM> shift-select-mode rather than rolling its own this could explain the
SM> change.

SM> If that doesn't explain what you see, then please provide a test case
SM> (and make it a bug report).

I don't think it explains it.  The beginning of the region seems to be
set to the *last* place I hit S-prior/next in some way.

As an example, I added blank lines to the end of this message.  In Gnus,
the message starts with some headers and then your citation line.

I went to the beginning of the buffer, held down Shift, then pressed
`next' (PageDown) several times until I got to the end of the buffer.
Then I copied the selected text (which should have been the whole
buffer, including the headers).  Instead, the region and the copied text
began from the text "SM> If that doesn't explain what you see".

I'll try to formulate a bug report for this.  It's really annoying
because you often end up leaving text you meant to cut, and definitely
used to work correctly.

Thanks
Ted