Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:43:17 +0100

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:05:24 +0100
From: Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:29:47 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

There are a few other minor problems for me. For example, my last
foray in adding a patch to Emacs was so scary regarding the amount
of red tape involved in the whole process that I am somewhat
reluctant to commit to doing that regularly.

What red tape?  Emacs is about the most red-tape-less project as you
can find, as far as the procedure of admitting a patch is considered.

If I want to contribute to Emacs, and I want to be good contributor, I
have the following things to keep in mind:
[...]

Are you saying that other comparable projects don't have similar
requirements?  Because that'd be definitely not true for the projects
I'm familiar with.

Here are the requirements for GDB contributors:

https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=blob;f=gdb/CONTRIBUTE;hb=HEAD

Here are the GCC requirements:

   http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html

Here's LLVM's (which cover clang):

   http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html

As you see, Emacs is the norm here, not the odd one out.

The LLVM project does not require copyright assignments, which means that the copyright for the code in the project is held by its respective contributors who have each agreed to release their contributed code under the terms of the LLVM License.