Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:15:14 +0200

On 25.02.2014 19:14, Richard Stallman wrote:
     Could it support a "daemon" mode?

Yes.  (Though I'm not sure how that differs, practically speaking,
from accepting commands on stdin and answering them on stdout.)

I don't understand the question. The way it receives commands (from stdout, via a socket, or a network port) is not too dependent on the mode of operation. I'd expect a completion server to receive commands using some http-like interface, but maybe it's just me.

     I don't really see GCC itself doing that (at least, the last part).
     It would require quite a bit of work that might be better left to
     third-party developers.

I hope some of the people on this list will help implement it.
I will try to ask GCC developers to develop it too.

Will GCC have to support every build system under the sun? Or those that are free, at least?

And have to update the code whenever a new build system comes out, or an existing build system adds a relevant feature?