Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:44:04 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> Just making sense of the Standard is something that requires plenty of
> work and communication with your peers (the Standard is too ambiguous
> on some parts for the level of precission that an implementer needs,

[...]

> Creating a C++ front-end requires years of full-time work from teams
> of specialized, experienced, extremely brilliant compiler writers.

I seem to remember that the old Germanic Thing gatherings required
making and confirming decisions in two passes, once drunk, once sober.
I have the suspicion that the processes of C++ language design and
implementation are split in a similar manner.

There was a time when C programmers shook their head at the complexity
of Ada.

Now they have C++.

> Please understand that I would be delusional if I expected that you,
> on your free time and on a short enough timeframe to not lag more and
> more behind the current language standard, could implement the
> required analysis features for accurate and efficient smart code
> completion.

Time to go back to Scheme.  At least it isn't hard to ask the "compiler"
about identifiers.  No need to even think about plugins and similar.

Sorry for venting.  In the mean time, we still have to deal with the
thing that is C++.

--
David Kastrup