Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 18:31:53 +0100

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> In this case, the line is between using Emacs' leverage for preserving
> GCC's importance over betting the horse on a product with an ultimate
> fate out of the GNU project's control, and out of its original authors'
> and current community's control.

It would be interesting to measure (somehow ;-) whether that "Emacs
leverage" is enough to preserve GCC's importance. I mean, if using the
clang libraries allows much powerful, developer-friendly environments
for C/C++ programmers, do we think that a significant number of them
will still choose GCC because of Emacs? If the answer is "yes",
Richard's position strenghtens GCC without prejudice for Emacs. If the
answer is "not", that position hurts Emacs without helping GCC.