Re: make bootstrap

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make bootstrap
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 18:05:16 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:53:41 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Andreas Schwab <schwab <at> suse.de> writes:
>

> > Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > While doing this I noticed that to be able to 'make bootstrap', I need a
> much
> > > larger area than for building a regular emacs.
> > > Why is this ?
> >
> > Because it's using the non-compiled lisp files for bootstrap-emacs.
> >

> Oops. That might be a good reason!
>
> Currently, the size for these dumped data is hardwired in the build process.
> I'll try to find a way to make it more configurable (at least for the w64
> case).

There is an alternative: if you run out of space, malloc some buffer
and continue allocating from the heap.  This is what pure_alloc does.
The reason is that bootstrap-emacs is only used to byte-compile a
relatively small number of Lisp files, those which are preloaded.
Once those are compiled, we re-dump Emacs using the byte-compiled
files, then use that for the rest of the bootstrap (and for future
builds in the same tree).  So it is not important that some of the
loaded files in bootstrap-emacs are in a static array, while others
are on the heap.  I think.