Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:12:44 -0400

      If the alternative is "Using Clang in a proprietary product"
    then I think "Using GCC in a proprietary product" is definitely not
    a loss

It is more or less the same loss.  The case I'm concerned about is that
it become normal to use GCC with proprietary add-ons.

           (especially if the GPLv3 works as it should, making it possible
    for the user to replace/fix/improve the GCC part of the proprietary
    product).

This would not make the proprietary combination any less bad.  What it
would do is make sure we would only need to replace the proprietary
parts.  However, that won't automatically make the job replacing them
get done.

Nowadays GCC does allow plug-ins -- we came up with a safe way to do
it (or at least I hope it's safe).  The issue now is to convince
people to work on improvements to GCC.  I hope that some people will
be motivated to work on them so as to get certain features into Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation