Re: Trunk still not open

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:27:08 +0530

To the below list, I would also add this (just for emphasis).  Eli, I am
not saying it is an oversight on your part.  So don't pounce on me :-)

    1. Document the design decisions

    2. Provide some historical context or add a personal note

    3. Consolidate (as in "bring together") various aspects of the
       feature "scattered" across multiple files or symbols in a single
       node and provide a cohesive narrative.

The nodes on overlay, text properties, extents is a good example of (1).
If I want to learn about text properties or overlays, I can progress
quickly by starting with reference manual than by starting with
underlying C files.

(2) is very very important for software like Emacs whose life-term is
measured in decades and not in years.  I saw a recent commit where the
documentation used the word "now" in questionable manner.  (I cannot
locate the commit right now) Use of such words is highly questionable
and shows a lack of appreciation of historical context.

In summary, I would say the "foreword" or "preamble" part of a Info
chapter is "equally" the most important part and can be exploited by the
author - both to give his creativity an expression and stimulate an
explorer by having his curiosity sufficiently aroused.