Re: [elpa] 02/04: company-clang: handle multibyte chars between bol and

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [elpa] 02/04: company-clang: handle multibyte chars between bol and point
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:54:20 +0200

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:08:14 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > You might also like to add a comment like "Hack attack:
> > assume the file's encoding is the same as Emacs's internal encoding".
>
> Hm, yes.  Although it just assumes that the encoding used multiple bytes
> for the same sets of chars as Emacs internals, which is more reasonable.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this could be
a reasonable assumption.  Don't you need to produce the same byte
stream as would be found in the file when saved to disk?  If so, then
you need to produce data about byte counts as they will be in that
encoding, which is defined by buffer-file-coding-system.

Apologies if I missed something.