Re: Vector graphics overlays

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Vector graphics overlays
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:53:57 +0200

> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:15:44 +0800
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
>
> I figured that one way of dealing with this would be to have the ability to
> overlay SVG graphics on top of the text being edited. I was about to start
> actually implementing this when someone pointed out to me that this would
> be completely incompatible with running Emacs in text mode (although I was
> thinking to myself that so is inline images, and that's a supported
> feature).
>
> What is the opinion about this? Is this something that has been discussed
> previously, and if so, what was the outcome?

The question you should ask yourself is whether not showing the image
will fatally hamper whatever features you want to build on top of
that.  If it will (I don't think so), then perhaps some ASCII art
replacement for the image is in order.  If not, then this feature will
simply be unavailable on text terminals.