Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:59:09 +0900

Stefan writes:

 > > In text mode, if the buffer contains
 > > foo
 > >    bar
 >
 > > and point is at the start of the second line, and I type RET, it gives

 > > foo
 > >
 > > bar
 >
 > > This is clearly wrong.
 >
 > I don't see what is "clear" about it being wrong, sorry.
 > I see you don't like it (and Richard apparently doesn't like it either),
 > but that's a different problem.

It would be nice if you guys would avoid using keystrokes instead of
commands in this discussion.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to
swap the usage of CR and LF from `newline' and `newline-and-indent' to
`newline-and-indent' and `newline', respectively.  That may disconcert
us oldtimers, but I suspect it's what newcomers to Emacs will expect.[1]
And it's easy enough to "fix" if you don't like it.  But I hope that's
not what Alan's talking about, although it's entirely unclear to me if
that's what Stefan's talking about.

That is, if what Alan means by "type RET" is "type a keystroke bound
to `newline'", then my preference accords with his.  For my usage that
behavior is *clearly* *wrong*, as in text modes when there's leading
whitespace on a line, either *I* put it there, or some electrically-
crapified command that I just disabled the electricity on did (and it
won't happen again, so there's no reason not to fix it by hand this
time).

Footnotes:
[1]  I got used to it in Python-mode quite readily, despite continuing
to use the traditional bindings for RET and C-j in other modes.