Re: Unibyte characters, strings and buffers

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Unibyte characters, strings and buffers
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:42:16 -0700

On 03/28/2014 01:18 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
what you suggest will just
replace one set of subtly buggy behaviors with another

Code that blithly passes bytes in the range 128-255 to char-equal is *already* buggy. Although the proposed change wouldn't fix those bugs, it'd fix others, so it'd be a win.

Plus, the change is simpler and easier to explain than what we have now, and that is a long-term win.

I'm afraid what I'm hearing is "although it's broken, unless we come up with a perfect solution we shouldn't do anything". I'd rather fix this particular problem now, even if it's not practical to fix all the related problems now. We don't need to slay the entire unibyte dragon to fix the relatively minor issue of comparing characters.