How to build emacs without manual?

From: Nathan Trapuzzano
Subject: How to build emacs without manual?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:34:50 -0400

I'm trying to build older versions of Emacs (e.g. 23.4) to test some
libraries against, but the build keeps failing at the makeinfo stage
(despite make's -k flag), apparently because of some texinfo error that
older versions didn't flag as such.

Is there a way to configure for a manual-less build without hacking the
Makefiles?  The --without-makeinfo flag doesn't do what I thought.