Re: Mangled and unclear attributions in the Emacs history

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Mangled and unclear attributions in the Emacs history
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:34:57 -0400

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>:
> > The reason I care about coalescing such cases is because I think it helps
> > everybody if (for example) "Jan Djärv" is a reliable single identity for
> > purposes of reputation measures, whether informal or formalized via
> > something like Ohloh Kudos rank.
>
> People who care can create aliases, so I don't think this is really
> needed.

The devil is in the details. One detail that is interesting in 2014 is
"Can the Ohloh crawler see your alias table?".

This stands in for a larger question about how, if you suppose that a
trust/reputation identity consists of multiple aliases, that equivalence
is represented.

With a little work - specifically, these commands:

=C filter --replace /develoeprs/developers/g
=C filter --replace /=Constantin/Constantin/g
=C filter --replace /Johan Bockgard/Johan Bockgård/g
=C filter --replace /Adam Sjogren/Adam Sjøgren/g
=C filter --replace /Jérémy Compostella/Jérémy Compostella/g
=C filter --replace /Jeremy Compostella/Jérémy Compostella/g
=C filter --replace /Richard Stallman/Richard M. Stallman/g
=C filter --replace /OReilly/O'Reilly/g
=C filter --regexp /Jan D\.$/Jan Djärv/g
=C filter --replace /K. Handa/Kenichi Handa/g
=C filter --regexp /Agustin [Mm]artin/Agustín Martín/g
=C filter --replace /Eric Ludlam/Eric M. Ludlam/g
=C filter --regexp /^rms <>/Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden>/
=C filter --regexp /^ <dancol/Daniel Colascione <dancol/
=C filter --replace /=?UTF-8?q?Fabi=C3=A1n=20Ezequiel=20Gallina?= =
=?UTF-8?q?Fabi=C filter --replace /3=A1n=20Ezequiel=20Gallina?=
<address@hidden>/Fabían Ezequel Gallina <address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /Anders Lindgern/Anders Lindgren/
=C filter --replace /Joakim <address@hidden>/Joakim Verona <address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /joakim <address@hidden>/Joakim Verona <address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /joakim verona <address@hidden>/Joakim Verona
<address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /Karel Klic/Karel Klíc/
=C filter --replace /Leo <address@hidden>/Leo Liu <address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /leo <address@hidden>/Leo Liu <address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /Luis Felipe López Acevedo/Luis Felipe López Acevedo/g
=C filter --replace /Manuel Gómez <address@hidden>/Manuel Gómez
<address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /Werner Lemberg <address@hidden>/Werner LEMBERG
<address@hidden>/
=C filter --replace /martin rudalics/Martin Rudalics/g
=C filter --replace /Óscar Fuentes/Óscar Fuentes/g
=C filter --replace /Stepán Nemec/Štěpán Němec/g
=C filter --replace /Andrei Chi u/Andrei Chitu/g
=C filter --replace /jhd <address@hidden>/Jan Djärv <address@hidden>/g
=C filter --replace /Yair F <address@hidden>/Yair Friedman <address@hidden>/

...we get to postpone having to deal with that question.