Re: Proposal: make up-list escape strings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: make up-list escape strings
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 08:41:45 -0400

>> If I understand what you mean by "do it for comments", if point begins
>> at `D' (well, between `C' and `D'), up-list should take us to `p', then
>> `i', then `a'.

Right.

>> The problem is that `scan-lists' called with FROM `p', COUNT -1, and
>> DEPTH 1 will move directly from `p' to `a', bypassing position `i'.

Not if you narrow to the comment before.

>> We're going to need fancier logic to make that work correctly.

No, you already have the logic for strings.

>> Anyway, even if you did stop at position `i', you couldn't do much: you
>> can't manipulate that comment as a sexp.

Good point.  It would call for things like mark-sexp to handle comments
not as white space.  But part of the reason is to avoid comment-crossing
and things like that, e.g. with

     x = '(';  // That's comment.

If you start from the end of line (and assume a no-string-crossing
behavior), you don't want C-M-u to jump just before the open paren.

> +            (when no-string-crossing
> +              (let ((syntax (syntax-ppss)))
> +                (when (nth 3 syntax)    ; Inside string
                              ^
                              8

> +                  (save-excursion
> +                    (goto-char (nth 8 syntax)) ; String start
> +                    (narrow-to-region
> +                     (point)
> +                     (condition-case nil
> +                         (progn (forward-sexp) (point))
                           use (forward-comment) if (nth 4 syntax)

But then no-string-crossing needs to be renamed maybe "no lexical crossing"?

Other than that, looks good, feel free to install.

        Stefan